Now that spring is finally here, it is time to do some lightening, brightening and cleaning. But best of all, it is time for fun, cheery spring decor accessories! Make your home sing by introducing some pretty, spring colors and textures and get happy.
Here are the 6 secrets you need to know to get a gorgeous spring home:
1. COLOR– Now is the time you’ll want to replace darker winter items with fresh, light spring colors. These items can include anything from interior paint color, to throw pillows, curtains, rugs, towels and bedding. You can even switch up the red and green candles that were used at Christmas for some softer pastel colors. Think Easter! The colors are always a warm but muted pastel palette. Flowers are a simple way to add splashes of color to a room, add a fun vase and off you go. Recently I found a set of placemats and napkins that sparked an eat-in kitchen makeover done in pale yellows, cream, taupe and teal. A teal vase of pink tulips topped of the look.
If you get stuck for color ideas you can check out the Pottery Barn site for their seasonal color palette of paint chips to get some ideas. Beautiful choices for spring include ivory, taupe, pale blues, pale buttery yellows, spa gray and crisp clean whites. You can use some accent colors in Chocolate brown, mocha, teal, and beige to warm up the space. The idea is to keep it fresh!
2. TEXTURE– It is interesting to the eye and pleasing to the touch. Texture can be brought into a room in many manners. Whether it is a set of new luxurious bedding or some soft throw pillows, you’ll want to add some spring fabrics into the mix. Out with the corduroy, wool, velvet and flannel and in with the linens, light cotton and sheer materials. The idea is to have lightness and brightness. Look at fashion as a guide, you wouldn’t want to wear warm wool when the weather calls for cool cotton, so is the fashion in your home, calling for an update! You can add texture with candles, artwork, new furniture, as well as by adding interesting décor items such as shells and sand. Some specific items you might want to focus on are rugs, bedding, curtains, shower curtains, towels, slipcovers and throw pillows.
3. THEMES-Spring and summer have themes all their own. These usually include floral prints, toile, beach, cottage, island and sea. Use these themes to make a room your own. Maybe you don’t want your entire house to look like a beach house, why not incorporate a few pretty shells in the bathroom or place a large conch shell on top of a stack of magazines in a living room. You could add some glassware and a pitcher on a pretty tray out on the backyard patio. Why not change a few pieces of wall art or pictures? These are simple, but noticeable changes. If you love something but can’t afford to make your whole house reflect it, choose one room or place some small splashes of that theme throughout the house. You’ll have fun this way finding new items for your home without fretting over the cost.
4. FURNITURE-What a great time to invest in a pretty new patio set. Maybe you live alone and want something smaller scale-get a bistro set for two! It is less expensive and there are lots of choices from teak to wrought iron. Find a table large enough to enjoy an afternoon stack or an evening dinner. Be sure to set up fun lounge chairs poolside should you be lucky enough to have a pool in your own backyard.
Aside from the great outdoors, you can bring some of that outdoor look inside. Bringing some wicker furniture in will lessen the heavy feeling of other pieces you may have.
5. FLOWERS-Most people think of outdoor gardening when flowers are mentioned. Be sure to treat yourself to some regular inexpensive blooms indoors this spring. Tulips, lilies and gerbera daisies are all in season and come in a variety of colors to choose from. Try to choose flowers that look and smell heavenly! Lilies will probably get you the most bang for your buck here! I love to place these in the kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms and entryway. Get creative with your outdoor flowers, add color in the front and backyard paying particular detail to the entry door. Add cascading greens to large urns and place them on either side of the doorway filled with beautiful spring delights.
6. TRENDS-Be aware of trends but don’t blow your re-decorating budget on super trendy decor items. As a Professional Home Stager and Re-designer, I always recommend using items that are inexpensive but have the most impact. If you love a color but couldn’t dream of painting your whole room that color or you have a rich fabric you adore but it’ll break the bank, just add splashes through smaller items. My favorites are candles, throw pillows, art, placemats, bedding, rugs and flowers. Trends come and go so be sure the trend is something you embrace. Like fashion, not every trend will be one that you will want to be seen in. I for one, have turned down many fashion trends that are uncomfortable, ugly and downright not me! I opt for more classic styles that reflect my personality and taste but simply inject the trend factor by using color and pattern most often.
Like many of my clients, if you have existing furniture and accessories and you desire a boost by getting a fresh perspective to update your home, contact Florida Home Staging for more information on Redesign. We’d be happy to assist you this spring! We also provide Home Staging services to Central Florida and surrounding residents as they prepare to sell their home. We know exactly what buyers are looking for in a home and will design your home to appeal to a mass audience to sell quickly and for top dollar.